One of the biggest challenges for a web hosting customer is transferring their website to a new hosting provider. It's one of the most daunting tasks that a website owner can face. This is why GreenGeeks offers a FREE Website Transfer service for all customers who have an existing website with another hosting provider and want to switch to us.
Content Migrations can solve a number of issues ranging from:
- Consolidation from one or more CMS systems into one system to allow for more centralized control, governance of content, and better Knowledge management and sharing.
- Reorganizing content due to mergers and acquisitions to assimilate as much content from the source systems for a unified look and feel.
- Converting content that has grown organically either in a CMS or Flat HTML and standardizing the formatting so standards can be applied for a unified branding of the content.
The basic content migration flow
1. Obtain an inventory of the content.
2. Obtain an inventory of Binary content like Images, PDFs, CSS files, Office Docs, Flash, and any binary objects.
3. Find any broken links in the content or content resources.
4. Determine the Menu Structure of the Content.
5. Find the parent/sibling connection to the content so the links to other content and resources are not broken when moving them.
6. Extract the Resources from the pages and store them into a Database or File structure. Store the reference in a database or a File.
7. Extract the HTML content from the site and store locally.
8. Upload the resources to the new CMS either by using the API or the web interface and store the new location in a Database or XML.
9. Transform the HTML to meet the new CMSs standards and reconnect any resources.
10. Upload the transformed content into the new system.